Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Seeds of Wisdom

Tonight in the Master Gardener training we discussed mistakes in gardening. The presenter talked about her number one mistake being impatience. She wanted a big garden and she wanted it now.


When I think about this time in my life I often grow weary about all the "work" in front of me. When I think about my life it is like a new garden. I shop around for plants that I would like to add or plant bulbs that won't bloom for seasons. I stare at my garden and it is bare. The seeds are there in the dirt and I spend hours watering them, but the universe plays a role as well.



One of my favorite John Muir quotes goes "Another glorious Sierra day in which one seems to be dissolved and absorbed and sent pulsing onward we know not where. Life seems neither long nor short, and we take no more heed to save time or make haste than do the trees and stars. This is true freedom, a good practical sort of immortality". The pulsing onward I have always experienced. It does not keep me from being in the present moment it is more a statement of following my bliss. The plants in a garden do not sense our haste once we have planted them. They are wise and know where to bloom and when. No matter how much weeding, mulching, watering, and shading we do the plants are free to do what they want.



Yoga for me has been like the growth of a lotus. The lotus flower begins its journey in the deepest muck underneath the water. Without feeling, without seeing it knows that the light is there and it begins to grow not knowing what or if something lies ahead.



Ultimately growth is about faith. What would you do if you knew you would not fail? Could you bloom like a lotus?
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom" - Anais Nin

1 comment:

  1. Yenny, was the imagery of the lotus flower inspired by your trip to Southeast Asia? <3

    ReplyDelete